To get behind the wheel and experience America’s legendary Route 66 is one of the world’s ultimate driving experiences. Once you've decided on this once-in-a-lifetime adventure, you'll no doubt have many questions to ask, so we've got together with our USA & Route 66 specialist, Astra, and asked for her help in answering the top five most frequently asked questions about Route 66 holidays, as well as any tips and advice she may have.
For further information, please do not hesitate to contact our friendly and knowledgeable team and begin planning your USA road trip today!
Question 1: Can we hire a convertible for the whole route?
Whilst many dream of cruising along Route 66 with the wind in our hair, in reality, convertible cars are not a very practical option for this sort of epic adventure. Luggage space can be limited, as are the choice of convertible cars in Chicago, where the route originates. A practical car is highly recommended to transport you in comfort on your road trip across America!
Astra's Tips: How to incorporate a convertible experience on Route 66
- Why not include Las Vegas in your itinerary? Choose a standard car or SUV to Las Vegas where you can switch to a convertible car to complete the final leg of the journey. The pleasure of this experience will require a one-way drop off fee of approximately $300-$500 plus tax (subject to the rental provider), however it will be an unforgettable experience.
- Take advantage of our ‘no one-way drop off fee’ suggested itinerary which takes the journey from Chicago O’Hare Airport to Los Angeles Airport. Here you can pick up a convertible car and explore California’s southern region in style!
Question 2: Can we tailor-make our Route 66 road trip?
Our Route 66 holidays are completely tailor-made, providing the perfect opportunity to make this once-in-a-lifetime road trip something really special! Take inspiration from our suggested itineraries and simply contact us with an outline of your desired trip. We relish a challenge so don’t hesitate to give us a call to discuss your ideas in more detail.
Question 3: We just want to book our flights and car hire, then arrange our accommodation when we are there, is this possible?
We can certainly arrange this for you, however whilst it sounds like an exciting prospect out on the open road, in reality it can be quite difficult, especially during the peak summer months.
A Route 66 self-drive holiday covers a vast amount of mileage (ranging between 2200 and 3000 miles) and incorporates lots of one night stops. If your accommodation is not pre-booked, you may take up valuable time finding and arranging each hotel. Booking your accommodation in advance is often more cost effective with early booking reductions as well as peace of mind.
Question 4: Do I need a credit card whilst on holiday?
Yes! The lead driver of your car rental will require a valid credit card in their own name. An amount (as per the car rental terms and conditions) will be reserved on the card during the hire period and will be released back to the card holder once the car has been returned.
Most hotels in America will also require a credit card to be provided at check in. Like car hire, the reserved amount is held as a safeguard for additional services such as room service, spa treatments or damages.
- Use a separate credit card for car hire and hotel purposes from the card you are using for your holiday spending money so you can keep a track on your overall spend!
- Avoid using pre-paid currency cards for these purposes. They work very similar to shopping vouchers, once funds have been debited there is often no way to refund you. They look very similar to credit cards so hoteliers and car rental providers don’t always spot that they are currency cards until it is too late.
Question 5: Will I need to pay for any extras with my car rental?
Our standard car rental package includes insurance, unlimited mileage and one named driver. Extras such as Satnav, additional drivers and fuel can be all be pre-booked.
The route you decide upon will dictate your one-way drop off fee, which is payable locally and ranges between $300-$500 plus tax, depending upon the rental provider.
- We can arrange a Route 66 trip between Chicago O’Hare Airport and Los Angeles Airport which avoids any one-way drop off fees. We will notify you at time of quotation what (if any) one way fees apply to you. Everything that is mandatory will be included within your car rental rate. You may be offered additional products locally such as enhanced insurance and roadside assistance. These products are not compulsory.
- When signing your car hire agreement, it is important to check it thoroughly to ensure you are not signing to unwanted additional charges. These charges, once signed for, cannot be refunded.
Get in touch with a member of our dedicated travel team today to tailor-make your memorable and unique Route 66 holiday!